Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue October 7, 2008
Power Outage Causes Chemical Leak
By Carrie Pond
Calvert City, KY – Late yesterday morning, a chemical release at Calvert City's Arkema Chemicals plant caused Marshall and Livingston county officials to urge their residents to seek shelter. A power outage caused the release of vapor from one of the plant's production columns. The vapor was a combination of hydrochloric acid and a refrigerant product known as 142-b. There were no on-site injuries or illnesses related to the release, and the building was not evacuated. The leakage lasted for around 35 minutes.