Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu January 17, 2013
Poverty On The Rise In Illinois
The number of Illinois residents relying on food stamps and food banks is rising along with the state’s poverty rate.
Food benefit cases rose 19 percent during the recent recession and have increased an additional 41 percent since June 2009. The Illinois Department of Human Services reports households using the state's emergency food program spiked from over two and a quarter million in fiscal year 2009 to almost 3 million last year. According to the Social IMPACT research Center, 15 percent of Illinoisans are in poverty and 18 percent are close to it.