Most Active Stories
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- Former Murray High Assistant Coach Pleads Guilty to Rape Cases
- Kentucky Baptists Take Credit for Failure of Medical Marijuana Bills
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 at 7 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
Poetry Out Loud
Mon March 19, 2012
'Poetry Out Loud' Competition This Week
Kentucky high school students will compete this week in the national Poetry Out Loud recitation contest in Frankfort. Champions from 21 high schools across Kentucky will participate in the state finals Wednesday at the Capital Plaza Hotel. The contest was launched in 2006 by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation. The Kentucky Arts Council says it helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence and learn about their literary heritage. The state winner receives $200 and a trip to Washington for national finals.