Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri May 11, 2012
Plan ending free IL retiree health insurance goes to Quinn
Longtime Illinois state employees could be on the verge of losing the free health insurance they get in retirement. The state Senate approved legislation ending the benefit yesterday. It now goes to Governor Pat Quinn, who is pushing to cut retirement benefits.
Currently, people who spend 20 years working for the state don't have to pay health insurance premiums after retiring. Under the new plan, retirees would pay a premium based on their years working for the state and ability to pay. Legislators call it a difficult move they need to make if Illinois is going to repair unsustainable health care and pension systems.