Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed April 30, 2014
Petition Circulating for Murray/Calloway Parks Tax
Murray-Calloway County Parks Superintendent Tab Brockman seeks to put the community parks on a more stable financial footing. A group known as People for our Parks is holding a petition drive to let voters decide on a tax of $.05 to raise funds funds for the parks, which would be the November 2014 ballot. Kate Lochte learns more about this petition and its purpose on Sounds Good.
"The first step is to get enough signatures to put it on the ballot for November, and then, ultimately...we need 3,039 signatures to make that happen and we're well on the way to that."
If you are interested in signing the petition and you are a registered voter in Calloway County, you may do so at the Chamber of Commerce, MCC Parks Office, Murray CVB, City Hall or the Courthouse. Kentucky State Law allows for a a special tax district for funding, maintenance and purchase of park property.