Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
TVA Manager's Pay Still Rising
Mon March 26, 2012
Pay Keeps Increasing for Top TVA Managers
Top managers at the Tennessee Valley Authority now make more than members of Congress, who are paid $174,000 annually. The Chattanooga Times Free Press reports TVA is paying out nearly $30 million a year more for 155 of its top leaders since Congress removed salary limits at the federal utility in 2004. Former TVA Director Skila Harris said the changes have helped the utility hire qualified workers, plant managers, technicians and executives. Harris says it would be "nearly impossible" to find skilled candidates if TVA was required to have a pay scale lower than other utilities. When TVA was established in 1933, salaries of employees were capped so they couldn't make more than members of Congress.