Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Mon October 18, 2010
Paul/Conway Debate @ University of Louisville
By Gabe Bullard
Louisville, KY – The two major-party candidates for U.S. Senate debated at the University of Louisville last night. It was one of the most contentious meetings yet between Democrat Jack Conway and Republican Rand Paul.
The debate began with the candidates trading jabs over a recent ad from Conway that brought up pranks Paul was allegedly involved in as a college student. The candidates continued to criticize each other throughout the rest of the hour-long event. On the subject of the health care overhaul law, Paul said Conway should join other Attorneys General in a lawsuit that claims the law is unconstitutional.
"Jack misunderstands the Constitution. He thinks it has to list a right that you not have insurance. He doesn't understand that the Constitution gives certain powers to the government, but it says those rights not listed are not to be disparaged."
Conway said the law is constitutional, since courts have upheld Social Security and Medicare.