Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Tue April 6, 2010
Paul & Grayson Pledge Support for Coal
By Chris Taylor
Barbourville, KY – Kentucky US Senate Republican candidates Rand Paul and Secretary of State Trey Grayson voiced support for the Commonwealth's mining industry yesterday. Both promised to rein in the Environmental Protection Agency, which they described as harming the state's coal industry and the 17,000 workers it supports. The Paducah Sun reports Paul, Grayson, and three other contenders for retiring Senator Jim Bunning's seat have expressed support for mountain top removal, in hopes of wooing voters in the heavily Republican areas of southeastern Kentucky, which rely heavily on the coal industry.