Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon September 27, 2010
Paul and Conway on coal
By Rebecca Feldhaus/AP
Frankfort, KY – Republican Senate Candidate Rand Paul is promising to do whatever is necessary to protect underground coal miners. The United Mine Workers of America has criticized Paul as being lax on workplace safety. Paul's position closely resembles that of his Democratic opponent, Jack Conway. Paul said he would insist on enforcement of safety rules, maybe adding more mine inspectors. Conway, who has the endorsement of the UMWA, said he would push for stronger mine safety laws so that Kentuckians could continue to work in mines safely. The Governor's office reports mining accidents have killed five Kentucky miners so far this year.