Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
Mon September 27, 2010
Paul and Conway on coal
By Rebecca Feldhaus/AP
Frankfort, KY – Republican Senate Candidate Rand Paul is promising to do whatever is necessary to protect underground coal miners. The United Mine Workers of America has criticized Paul as being lax on workplace safety. Paul's position closely resembles that of his Democratic opponent, Jack Conway. Paul said he would insist on enforcement of safety rules, maybe adding more mine inspectors. Conway, who has the endorsement of the UMWA, said he would push for stronger mine safety laws so that Kentuckians could continue to work in mines safely. The Governor's office reports mining accidents have killed five Kentucky miners so far this year.