Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Mon November 5, 2012
Patriot Coal to Close Surface Mine in Henderson
Patriot Coal Corporation says it plans to close a Henderson County surface mine by the end of the year. The Bluegrass Mine Complex near Hebbardsville in Henderson County employs 89 workers. Henderson County Judge-Executive Hugh McCormick tells The Gleaner he’s very disappointed about the announcement, and it will impact the area's economy.
The news comes on the heels of Patriot's decision last summer to close an underground mine that employed 196 workers. Patriot didn't give a reason for the closure, and a company spokesman declined to comment.