Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon November 5, 2012
Patriot Coal to Close Surface Mine in Henderson
Patriot Coal Corporation says it plans to close a Henderson County surface mine by the end of the year. The Bluegrass Mine Complex near Hebbardsville in Henderson County employs 89 workers. Henderson County Judge-Executive Hugh McCormick tells The Gleaner he’s very disappointed about the announcement, and it will impact the area's economy.
The news comes on the heels of Patriot's decision last summer to close an underground mine that employed 196 workers. Patriot didn't give a reason for the closure, and a company spokesman declined to comment.