Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon November 5, 2012
Patriot Coal to Close Surface Mine in Henderson
Patriot Coal Corporation says it plans to close a Henderson County surface mine by the end of the year. The Bluegrass Mine Complex near Hebbardsville in Henderson County employs 89 workers. Henderson County Judge-Executive Hugh McCormick tells The Gleaner he’s very disappointed about the announcement, and it will impact the area's economy.
The news comes on the heels of Patriot's decision last summer to close an underground mine that employed 196 workers. Patriot didn't give a reason for the closure, and a company spokesman declined to comment.