Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30th
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- TN Police Officer: Open Carry Gun Bill Hurts All of Us
Mon November 5, 2012
Patriot Coal to Close Surface Mine in Henderson
Patriot Coal Corporation says it plans to close a Henderson County surface mine by the end of the year. The Bluegrass Mine Complex near Hebbardsville in Henderson County employs 89 workers. Henderson County Judge-Executive Hugh McCormick tells The Gleaner he’s very disappointed about the announcement, and it will impact the area's economy.
The news comes on the heels of Patriot's decision last summer to close an underground mine that employed 196 workers. Patriot didn't give a reason for the closure, and a company spokesman declined to comment.