Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Wed November 28, 2012
Patriot Coal Case Moved to St. Louis
Patriot Coal’s federal bankruptcy case will no longer be heard in New York City. U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Shelley Chapman in New York ruled that the case be moved to St. Louis, where Patriot Coal is based. Chapman says there were hundreds of handwritten letters from retired coal miners.
Patriot Coal is responsible for more than 10,000 retirees and another 10,000 dependents, some who are in Illinois and Kentucky. After an $802 million financing package was approved in August, Patriot Coal continues to operate while restructuring.