Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Sat August 11, 2012
Panama Canal expansion's effect on Paducah ports
The Panama Canal expansion project promises to increase river traffic in our region, but to service those ships, area ports will need to invest money to make the ports accommodate large ships. The Alabama Port Authority has made some of those investments in Mobile. Vice President of trade and development for the port authority Mark Sheppard spoke to Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce members as a follow-up to a Transportation Summit the Chamber held in May 2011. Chamber President Elaine Spalding said ports in Mobile and Paducah must coordinate to handle larger shipping vessels that could arrive from the expanded Panama Canal or from other locations. Casey Northcutt sat down with Sheppard after the event to add some details to this big project.