Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Sat August 11, 2012
Panama Canal expansion's effect on Paducah ports
The Panama Canal expansion project promises to increase river traffic in our region, but to service those ships, area ports will need to invest money to make the ports accommodate large ships. The Alabama Port Authority has made some of those investments in Mobile. Vice President of trade and development for the port authority Mark Sheppard spoke to Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce members as a follow-up to a Transportation Summit the Chamber held in May 2011. Chamber President Elaine Spalding said ports in Mobile and Paducah must coordinate to handle larger shipping vessels that could arrive from the expanded Panama Canal or from other locations. Casey Northcutt sat down with Sheppard after the event to add some details to this big project.