Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon August 31, 2009
Paducah Police Accused of Entrapment
By Chris Taylor
Paducah, KY – A local attorney is accusing the Paducah Police of entrapment. Jeremy Ian Smith is the defense attorney for one of the five people arrested in a petty theft sting outside of Wal-Mart and Kroger last week. Smith represents 26-year-old Jane Ely and contends officers were enticing people to commit low-level theft. The Paducah Sun reports police planted an unattended purse in a shopping cart while undercover officers watched what transpired. They say 77 out of 82 people attempted to return the purse. The five that didn't were charged with theft. Police say the goal of the operation was to be proactive in deterring petty theft as the holiday season nears.