Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon January 7, 2013
Paducah Gets Weather System Upgrade
Paducah’s National Weather Service Forecast office will soon receive new radar technology. The nearly 20-year-old dome will be popped open today for upgrades designed to generate new, high-quality radar data. The Paducah Sun reports the upgraded technology will give meteorologists the ability to scan approaching weather systems more accurately in addition to creating a clearer radar picture for impending emergency situations.
The current Doppler system transmits and receives horizontal radio wave pulses at approaching weather systems, and can therefore provide only one-dimensional pictures of clouds and precipitation. The upgrade means the radar can transmit pulses both horizontally and vertically, resulting in more detail.