Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Mon January 7, 2013
Paducah Gets Weather System Upgrade
Paducah’s National Weather Service Forecast office will soon receive new radar technology. The nearly 20-year-old dome will be popped open today for upgrades designed to generate new, high-quality radar data. The Paducah Sun reports the upgraded technology will give meteorologists the ability to scan approaching weather systems more accurately in addition to creating a clearer radar picture for impending emergency situations.
The current Doppler system transmits and receives horizontal radio wave pulses at approaching weather systems, and can therefore provide only one-dimensional pictures of clouds and precipitation. The upgrade means the radar can transmit pulses both horizontally and vertically, resulting in more detail.