Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon September 28, 2009
Paducah Could Go Nuclear
By Chris Taylor
Paducah, KY – A General Electric-Hitachi nuclear power plant could be built in Paducah. The city is among a list of potential sites. Mayor Bill Paxton was in Washington last week, meeting with officials from both companies, who plan to build 2 or 3 nuclear facilities within the next decade. Paxton tells the Paducah Sun the companies will not decide where to build for some time, as the permit process takes at least seven years. If Paducah is chosen, the plant would likely be built where the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant is located and bring more than one thousand jobs to the area. However, before it could be built Kentucky legislators will have to lift a 25-year-old ban on constructing nuclear reactors in Commonwealth.