Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu June 20, 2013
Owensboro Mystery Writers Festival Canceled
The International Mystery Writers Festival, set to take place at Owensboro’s RiverPark Center this October, has been canceled due to a lack of funding.
The decision comes after Gov. Steve Beshear cut funding to the festival in the most recent state budget. The festival received $70,000 of its $100,000 budget in state funding last year.
RiverPark Center Board Chairman Jeff Danhauer said he is confident the event will return in 2014, however.
“We have a panel of 10 nationally-recognized authors who are very enthusiastic and supportive of the program," Danhauer said. "So with their assistance, we will continue to work and find the right sponsor that’s going to truly benefit from it, and bring the festival back to Owensboro.”
The event has been held four times in Owensboro. The festival is both an opportunity for mystery fans to meet some of their favorite authors, as well as a chance for aspiring writers to hone their skills in workshops. Danhauer said the authors are committed to keeping the festival in Owensboro.