Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Mon February 25, 2013
Owensboro expects $20M lift from sports tourism
Sports tourism is expected to have a $20 million impact on Owensboro this year. Jared Bratcher is sports marketing director for the Owensboro-Daviess County Convention & Visitors Bureau. He tells the Owensboro Messenger-Inquirer there will be more than 50 tournaments, including figure skating, hockey, baseball, running, soccer, softball, basketball, tennis, volleyball, fishing and football.
There's some type of tournament in town every month and they’ll fill every hotel room in the city on 10 weekends this year. Bratcher says a 32,000-square-foot indoor sports complex called the Next Level created a year-round home for tournaments last year. The community's Edge Ice Center is beginning to bring in ice skating and hockey. And when the convention center opens next year Bratcher says he hopes to get even more competitions.