Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Wed June 3, 2009
OVC Tourney Leaves Paducah
By Chris Taylor
Paducah, KY – The NCAA Ohio Valley Conference baseball tournament is leaving its home at Paducah's Brooks Stadium, and a hole in the city's tourism revenue.
The tournament has been playing at Brooks Stadium in Paducah for nine years, but in 2010 the organization plans to setup shop in Jackson, Tennessee's Pringles Park, which is home to the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx, a Double-A minor league affiliate of the Seattle Mariners.
Paducah Convention & Visitors Bureau Executive Director Mary Hammond said the move is expected to withdraw an estimated $250,000 in direct tourism spending to the city.
The 50-year-old stadium is in great condition and an All-American "gem," according to Hammond, who is optimistic other organizations will come calling soon and put it to good use.