Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu July 18, 2013
Os Mutantes On World Cafe
Originally published on Wed October 2, 2013 4:58 pm
One of the most influential Brazilian psychedelic rock bands of the Tropicália movement, Os Mutantes released its first album in 35 years, Haih or Amortecedor, in 2009. Formed by brothers Sergio and Arnaldo Dias, the group initially drew inspiration from the likes of Jimi Hendrix, English rock and traditional Brazilian music.
Os Mutantes' music often mirrored the turbulent political atmosphere of Brazil, but the band has also endured to become one of the country's most influential acts. In spite of nearly constant membership changes, followed by a long hiatus, Os Mutantes reunited in 2006 for a highly anticipated tour.
Hear two songs from a 2009 World Cafe session, which amply demonstrates the group's ability to remain politically relevant while pumping out psychedelic jams.