Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Roads & Highways
Fri July 26, 2013
Ohio River Bridge Restrictions Begin Monday
Traffic restrictions on the US 51 Ohio River Bridge connecting Wickliffe, Kentucky to Cairo, Illnois, begin Monday morning that will essentially limit traffic to passenger vehicles. The 50 day restriction allows Kentucky Transportation Cabinet contractors to repair deck stringers, replace 10 joints and patch the bridge deck. The work zone restrictions include dual wheeled trucks, buses, motor homes and vehicles pulling trailers
Commercial trucks make up 35 percent of the 5,500 vehicles that cross the Ohio River on the bridge each day. The work zone restrictions turn the six-mile trip from Wickliffe to Cairo into an 80-mile trip for the restricted vehicles. Vehicles that are still able to use the bridge should still expect significant delays to cross the bridge.