Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Roads & Highways
Fri July 26, 2013
Ohio River Bridge Restrictions Begin Monday
Traffic restrictions on the US 51 Ohio River Bridge connecting Wickliffe, Kentucky to Cairo, Illnois, begin Monday morning that will essentially limit traffic to passenger vehicles. The 50 day restriction allows Kentucky Transportation Cabinet contractors to repair deck stringers, replace 10 joints and patch the bridge deck. The work zone restrictions include dual wheeled trucks, buses, motor homes and vehicles pulling trailers
Commercial trucks make up 35 percent of the 5,500 vehicles that cross the Ohio River on the bridge each day. The work zone restrictions turn the six-mile trip from Wickliffe to Cairo into an 80-mile trip for the restricted vehicles. Vehicles that are still able to use the bridge should still expect significant delays to cross the bridge.