Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed August 14, 2013
Offers Period Ends for PGDP
Wednesday marked the final day for companies to respond to the Department of Energy’s request for offers at the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant, formerly operated by the United States Enrichment Corporation.
General Electric-Hitachi Global Laser Enrichment and International Isotopes are two of the companies that showed interest in the site.
DOE spokesman Tim Echelard kept mum on just how many offers have been received, but says the next step is to evaluate the offers before entering negotiations with the chosen company.
The United State Enrichment Corporation is in the process of shutting down their operations at the plant. USEC and the DOE failed to reach a contract agreement to extend operations at the plant. An estimated 1,100 workers are expected to lose their jobs in a series of layoffs at the plant. Employees included in the first round of layoffs for the plant work their final day Friday.