Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
2013 KY General Assembly
Thu February 7, 2013
Nursing Home Group Launches Ads in Support of Medical Review Bill
Groups supporting a bill creating medical panels to review allegations of nursing home abuse are taking their cause to the airwaves. The Kentucky Association of Health Care Facilities this week released a 60 second television radio ad, urging people to support Senate Bill 9.
The group is made up of nursing homes who want the review panels—which is called for in Senate Bill 9— as a safeguard against what they call overreaching trial lawyers.
The ad takes aim directly at the lawyers.
"If you're tired of personal injury lawyers driving up the cost of nursing home care, do something! Support legislation in the Kentucky General Assembly that stops junk lawsuits and makes quality nursing home care affordable for our loved ones," the ad says.
The Kentucky Justice Association and AARP oppose the bill, with the KJA countering that lawsuits wouldn't happen if nursing homes took better care of their residents.