Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon November 19, 2012
NRC Holds Public Meeting on Honeywell Upgrades
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission holds a public meeting next week in Metropolis to talk about safety upgrades at the local Honeywell nuclear fuel refinery. The plant shut down in May because NRC inspectors found the equipment could not withstand a major earthquake or tornado.
Officials say the plant currently poses no danger to the community because it is not operating. Honeywell officials announced earlier this month that it could complete safety upgrades and restart production by June. Local, state, and regional representatives join NRC and Honeywell officials at the public meeting Nov. 29 at 7 p.m. at the Metropolis Community Center.