Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Mon April 30, 2012
No One is Blocking the Path to Office
Some 45 incumbent Kentucky lawmakers are running unopposed in both the spring primary and fall general elections this year. University of Louisville political scientist Laurie Rhodebeck says the lack of competition in this year's races may indicate candidates want nothing to do with the chaos of Frankfort politics. Out of 119 legislative seats up for election this year, only 36 will be on primary election ballots. In all, 40 state representatives and five senators are running unopposed. But it’s not that unusual in Kentucky. In some election years passed, the number of incumbent lawmakers without challengers has been even higher.