Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon April 30, 2012
No One is Blocking the Path to Office
Some 45 incumbent Kentucky lawmakers are running unopposed in both the spring primary and fall general elections this year. University of Louisville political scientist Laurie Rhodebeck says the lack of competition in this year's races may indicate candidates want nothing to do with the chaos of Frankfort politics. Out of 119 legislative seats up for election this year, only 36 will be on primary election ballots. In all, 40 state representatives and five senators are running unopposed. But it’s not that unusual in Kentucky. In some election years passed, the number of incumbent lawmakers without challengers has been even higher.