Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tourism & Heritage
Tue June 5, 2012
New Kentucky Tourism Commissioner
Kentucky’s new Department of Travel and Tourism Commissioner is charged with expanding tourism by while landing new attractions.
Mike Mangeot returns to a position in state tourism. About ten years ago, the 45 year old economic development specialist served as deputy commissioner of the Department of Travel. He wants to assess current conditions before making any firm suggestions, but Mangeot sees opportunity across Kentucky.
“I’ve never understood why the Commonwealth of Kentucky doesn’t have a destination resort along the lines of a Grove Park Inn or a Greenbriar, or a Homestead. I’ve been to each of those..we have everything that they have to offer.”
Mangeot says lots of states work to bring film projects, big movies can boost a community’s economy. He says incentives currently offered by the state are a little better than the average, but adds many states are in the film bidding war. Mangeot starts his new duties July first.