Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tourism & Heritage
Tue June 5, 2012
New Kentucky Tourism Commissioner
Kentucky’s new Department of Travel and Tourism Commissioner is charged with expanding tourism by while landing new attractions.
Mike Mangeot returns to a position in state tourism. About ten years ago, the 45 year old economic development specialist served as deputy commissioner of the Department of Travel. He wants to assess current conditions before making any firm suggestions, but Mangeot sees opportunity across Kentucky.
“I’ve never understood why the Commonwealth of Kentucky doesn’t have a destination resort along the lines of a Grove Park Inn or a Greenbriar, or a Homestead. I’ve been to each of those..we have everything that they have to offer.”
Mangeot says lots of states work to bring film projects, big movies can boost a community’s economy. He says incentives currently offered by the state are a little better than the average, but adds many states are in the film bidding war. Mangeot starts his new duties July first.