Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon August 17, 2009
New IL laws to Help Soldiers' Families
Springfield, IL – Illinois Governor Pat Quinn yesterday signed several bills into law meant to help relatives of soldiers killed during their service. Quinn says Illinois has to do everything it can to make sure relatives receive the benefits and services they're entitled to. A spokesperson for the Governor says one of the new laws creates a two-year window for beneficiaries to apply for death benefits. It also ensures timely payment of benefits.
Another of the laws provides better access to court of claims information for relatives and sets up a toll-free help line. The third bill designates the fourth Sunday in September as Gold Star Mothers Day. That moves it from the second Sunday in August.