Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
KY General Assembly
Fri February 10, 2012
New Congressional District Map Moving Through Legislature
A new map of Kentucky’s congressional districts is on the verge of becoming law.
State House Speaker Greg Stumbo declared congressional redistricting dead earlier this week, since it looked like both chambers could not agree on the new districts. But with the state Senate able to find enough votes to pass a compromise, a new map is in play.
The map gives the Fourth District portions of Boyd, Spencer, Shelby and Jefferson counties. The Second District stretches from Owensboro to Bowling Green and Nicholasville. And the Sixth District will become safe for Congressman Ben Chandler.
The bill passed a Senate committee this morning despite major objections from the committee’s chair, Senator Damon Thayer.
The bill is expected to pass the full Senate and House and be signed by the governor soon. The filing deadline for Congressional candidates would be reopened immediately and is expected to close again one week from today.