Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Outgoing CCHS Football Coach Overspent Around $30,000
- House Speaker Stumbo Files Bill to Prohibit Brewery-Owned Distributorships
- Paducah Riverfront Hotel Undergoes Design Changes, Delays Possible
- Local Distillery to Produce George Jones-Brand Moonshine
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Officials Say No Regulation for Asian Carp Harvests
Mon January 20, 2014
New Business Creation in KY Continues to Rise
A new federal report shows some good news for Kentucky enterprise. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says, according to the latest available data, the state led the country in new businesses created during the second quarter of 2013. Governor Steve Beshear's office says almost 6,700 new businesses opened in the Commonwealth in that quarter, many of them businesses with five or fewer employees.
The number is an increase of more than 6 percent from the same period a year earlier. Kentucky ranked second nationally by percentage in new businesses opened during 2013’s first quarter, and third during the last quarter of 2012.