Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed September 9, 2009
Murray Mayor's Funeral Set
By Angela Hatton / Todd Hatton
Murray, KY – Funeral arrangements have been set for Murray Mayor Tom Rushing, who died yesterday. A visitation will be Friday from 4 - 9 at J-H Churchill Funeral Home. Funeral services are Saturday at 11 AM at Lovett Auditorium on Murray State University's campus. Councilman Danny Hudspeth will serve as the City's Mayor Pro-Tem for the next 30 days. City Administration Director Matt Mattingly says by the end of the 30 days the council must appoint a community member to finish out Rushing's term, or govern as a council until the next election in 2010. Mattingly expects the group to discuss the issue at their September 24 meeting. Rushing passed away last night while recovering from open heart surgery. Following the onset of an illness over the weekend, Rushing was airlifted yesterday to St. Thomas Hospital in Nashville. Rushing was active in Murray politics for about 30 years before becoming mayor in 2003. In addition to holding elected office, Rushing was employed as a banker for 30 years and a teacher for 10 years.