Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
Wed October 20, 2010
Murray Mayoral Debate
By Rebecca Feldhaus
Murray, KY – Murray Mayoral Candidates Bill Wells and Butch Seargent kept their debate clean of mud slinging this morning. Wells and Seargent spoke cordially at the Chamber of Commerce Debate while defending their record. Both men came out against a hot topic of a potential payroll tax, but Sergeant offered a caveat.
"I'm not in favor of a payroll tax, however, making the promise that we will never have increases in our taxes is not something I will do, because no one knows what our future will bring."
Both men received questions ahead of time, and read from prepared notes. They agreed in denouncing a payroll tax as well as a city enforced smoking ordinance. This is the second Chamber debate between Wells and Seargent.