Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Wed June 20, 2012
Murray Hosts LGBT Fair Housing Workshop
Murray hosts the first of three Kentucky fair housing workshops today, focusing on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
The workshops provide information to community leaders and stakeholders about the discrimination LGBT people may face when looking for housing.
Workshop presenter H. Alexander Robinson is founding director of the National Black Justice Coalition. He says discrimination isn’t always obvious.
“Things that would be used to discourage you from applying. Putting up additional hurdles. Whether those are asking you for more of a deposit, delaying appointments, refusing to return telephone calls, asking very intrusive questions about people’s habits or behaviors.”
Some Kentucky cities have LGBT fair housing laws, but there is no specific state-wide rule protecting LGBT people. The workshop continues through four this afternoon. Additional workshops are scheduled in Danville and Morehead.