Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- USEC Operations at PGPD Won't Continue
- Murray Woman Shares Story of Ongoing Persecution of Baha'is in Iran
Grow Murray Submits Petition
Tue February 28, 2012
Murray Group Submits Petition Calling For Alcohol Vote
A local group working to legalize the sale of packaged alcohol in Murray has submitted a petition to the Calloway County Clerk. Ray Coursey Jr. says he is in the process of verifying the signatures on the petition. To be considered valid, each signature must be matched with a registered voter who is a resident of Murray. Coursey says the group’s petition has more than enough signatures if they’re all valid.
“A group here in Murray, they have submitted to us a multi-page petition. It doesn’t all have to be on one page. They ran ads in the newspaper as well as on the internet and direct mail back in January. When I talk about a petition, I’m talking about probably over 700 pages of signatures they brought to the county clerk’s office and filed with me.”
If the petition has the 627 signatures needed to be considered valid, the judge-executive has between 60 and 90 days to declare a local option referendum. Coursey says he expects to finish the verification process next week.