Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Mon June 25, 2012
Murray-Calloway Committee Supports Higher 68/80 Speed Limit
The Murray-Calloway County Chamber of Commerce Advocacy Committee is moving ahead with plans to support possible legislation increasing the speed limit on US 68/KY 80 to 65 mph.
The corridor, which is now four-lanes from Mayfield through LBL, still has a 55 mph speed limit. Officials say that limit needs to be updated to reflect road improvements over the past few decades. A case study compiled by the Southern Pennyrile Chamber Alliance shows the higher speed limit would make the highway a more convenient route, boosting the economies of cities and towns it passes through. The Murray Ledger & Times reports officials don’t yet know when legislation to address the speed limit could be presented or passed.