Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
Mon December 7, 2009
Mullen Speaks to Soldier Assembly
By Angela Hatton
Fort Campbell, KY – The chairman of the U. S. Joint Chiefs of Staff spoke to soldiers at Fort Campbell this morning. Admiral Mike Mullen told troops more casualties are expected with next year's increased presence in Afghanistan. Mullen says the initial casualties are necessary to insure more soldiers won't die in the future. The Kentucky New Era reports he also praised the fighting forces, calling them the best ever assembled. Mullen followed his speech with a forty minute question and answer session. The admiral last visited Fort Campbell February 19.