Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Outgoing CCHS Football Coach Overspent Around $30,000
- House Speaker Stumbo Files Bill to Prohibit Brewery-Owned Distributorships
- Paducah Riverfront Hotel Undergoes Design Changes, Delays Possible
- Local Distillery to Produce George Jones-Brand Moonshine
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Officials Say No Regulation for Asian Carp Harvests
Fri May 8, 2009
MSU Program Closes
By Carrie Pond
Murray, KY – The Family Planning Program on Murray State's campus is closing after 30 years in operation. Purchase Area Health Department Director Charlie Ross says the closure is one way the department is coping with reduced funding. He says the department intends to end services at the campus satellite clinic at the beginning of the fiscal year, or July 1st. Ross says the MSU clinic isn't the only area to suffer the effects of the budget pinch.
"Like a lot of public agencies in Kentucky we've had a number of retirements that have occurred, and pretty much without exception we've just had to absorb those positions rather than refill them."
Ross says the roughly 300 students served at the campus branch will not be left stranded. He says any of the health clinics across the 7 county region offer family planning services, including the Calloway County branch.