Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Fri May 8, 2009
MSU Program Closes
By Carrie Pond
Murray, KY – The Family Planning Program on Murray State's campus is closing after 30 years in operation. Purchase Area Health Department Director Charlie Ross says the closure is one way the department is coping with reduced funding. He says the department intends to end services at the campus satellite clinic at the beginning of the fiscal year, or July 1st. Ross says the MSU clinic isn't the only area to suffer the effects of the budget pinch.
"Like a lot of public agencies in Kentucky we've had a number of retirements that have occurred, and pretty much without exception we've just had to absorb those positions rather than refill them."
Ross says the roughly 300 students served at the campus branch will not be left stranded. He says any of the health clinics across the 7 county region offer family planning services, including the Calloway County branch.