Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon November 18, 2013
More LED Lights Used In Holiday Displays
Originally published on Mon November 18, 2013 5:09 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep. In the movie "Christmas Vacation" Chevy Chase's character attaches thousands of Christmas lights to his roof with a staple gun. When the lights go on, utilities have to boost their power to avoid a blackout. That would not happen today. Stores are selling more LED lights this year, which use less energy.
As those lights grow cheaper, Wal-Mart says it will devote half its Christmas light shelf space to LEDs. Costco says it will not sell anything else. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.