Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Mon November 18, 2013
More LED Lights Used In Holiday Displays
Originally published on Mon November 18, 2013 5:09 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep. In the movie "Christmas Vacation" Chevy Chase's character attaches thousands of Christmas lights to his roof with a staple gun. When the lights go on, utilities have to boost their power to avoid a blackout. That would not happen today. Stores are selling more LED lights this year, which use less energy.
As those lights grow cheaper, Wal-Mart says it will devote half its Christmas light shelf space to LEDs. Costco says it will not sell anything else. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.