Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Wed August 4, 2010
Mongiardo endorses Conway days before Fancy Farm
By Rebecca Feldhaus/KPR
Frankfort, KY – In a close vote, Attorney General Jack Conway defeated Lt. Gov. Dan Mongiardo in the May primary, to clinch the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate. Conway meets Republican Rand Paul in November.
After the primary, Paul was immediately endorsed by the man he defeated, Secretary of State Trey Grayson. But on the Democratic side, Mongiardo refused to endorse Conway.
At issue was Mongiardo's almost $80,000 campaign debt and whether or not the Conway camp had agreed to help retire the debt. Apparently that issue remains unresolved, but in a statement, Mongiardo is endorsing Conway - and all Democratic candidates on the fall ballot.
Mongiardo also says he wants Conway to have the stage to himself at Fancy Farm Saturday, so not only will he not speak at the event, he's canceling plans to attend.