Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed April 30, 2014
Minimum Wage Raise: Blocked For Now, May Live Again In Campaigns
Originally published on Wed April 30, 2014 10:20 pm
Senate Republicans blocked a vote Wednesday on a bill to raise the nation's minimum wage. But don't expect that to be the end of the story.
For more than a year now, Democrats, including President Obama, have been pushing to boost the minimum wage. Their latest target is $10.10 an hour.
GOP critics argue that would depress hiring in an already weak job market.
But raising the wage is popular with voters, and Democrats plan to make the issue a rallying cry between now and the November elections.