Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Wed April 30, 2014
Minimum Wage Raise: Blocked For Now, May Live Again In Campaigns
Originally published on Wed April 30, 2014 10:20 pm
Senate Republicans blocked a vote Wednesday on a bill to raise the nation's minimum wage. But don't expect that to be the end of the story.
For more than a year now, Democrats, including President Obama, have been pushing to boost the minimum wage. Their latest target is $10.10 an hour.
GOP critics argue that would depress hiring in an already weak job market.
But raising the wage is popular with voters, and Democrats plan to make the issue a rallying cry between now and the November elections.