Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Wed November 9, 2011
Mike Cherry on Ag Com Race
By Rose Krzton-Presson
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Democrats saw a landslide of victories last night. They won every constitutional office except for state Agriculture Commissioner. Republican James Comer beat Bob Farmer for the title and Democratic Representative Mike Cherry of Princeton says Farmer's campaign did the best it could.
"I don't know what he could have done necessarily different. I think he was handicapped by the simple fact that irregardless of the name, he was not a farmer, not an agricultural person; whereas Representative Comer was. I think it also gave the people of Kentucky the opportunity to say, Look we're not a straight Democrat or Republican people. We're more for the person than the party.'"
Cherry says the Democrats' victories bode well for the party's goals for the upcoming year, including a statewide referendum on expanded gambling- which he expects to be the issue of most attention in the coming year.