Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Wed May 8, 2013
Middle TN Scouts Group Backs Current Policy
The Middle Tennessee Council of the Boy Scouts says it is not supporting a proposal to partially lift the group's long-standing exclusion of gays. In a statement released yesterday, the Nashville-based council said it will vote to support the current national membership policy at the Boy Scouts of America's National Council meeting during the week of May 20 in Texas.
The BSA unveiled a proposal in April that says no youth may be denied membership "on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone." A ban would continue on leadership roles for adults who are openly gay or lesbian. Middle Tennessee Council Board President Lee Beaman says it is the council's duty to uphold the current policy, which bars openly gay members.