Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Mon December 8, 2008
Metropolis council delays industrial site decision
By Carrie Pond
Metropolis, IL – The Metropolis, IL City Council voted last night to reject the only proposal submitted to purchase the former Laidlaw industrial site. Metropolis Mayor Billy McDaniel says an error in the public listing failed to include a detailed site description, which is legally required. The council opted to reject the Friends of Fort Massac's proposal to purchase the site for use as a tourism attraction so committee members could revise the resolution for proposals.
"It will probably be after the first of the year, we want to make sure that everything is advertised properly, giving everyone the opportunity to bid on that piece of property." In addition to an expected re-submission of the proposal from the Friends of Fort Massac, McDaniel says he's also anticipating a bid from an industrial buyer. He says the city is in the process of cleaning up the site to return it to commercial grade status.