Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Upcoming State Budget Deficit Could Exceed $400 million
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
Mon December 8, 2008
Metropolis council delays industrial site decision
By Carrie Pond
Metropolis, IL – The Metropolis, IL City Council voted last night to reject the only proposal submitted to purchase the former Laidlaw industrial site. Metropolis Mayor Billy McDaniel says an error in the public listing failed to include a detailed site description, which is legally required. The council opted to reject the Friends of Fort Massac's proposal to purchase the site for use as a tourism attraction so committee members could revise the resolution for proposals.
"It will probably be after the first of the year, we want to make sure that everything is advertised properly, giving everyone the opportunity to bid on that piece of property." In addition to an expected re-submission of the proposal from the Friends of Fort Massac, McDaniel says he's also anticipating a bid from an industrial buyer. He says the city is in the process of cleaning up the site to return it to commercial grade status.