Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Mon December 8, 2008
Metropolis council delays industrial site decision
By Carrie Pond
Metropolis, IL – The Metropolis, IL City Council voted last night to reject the only proposal submitted to purchase the former Laidlaw industrial site. Metropolis Mayor Billy McDaniel says an error in the public listing failed to include a detailed site description, which is legally required. The council opted to reject the Friends of Fort Massac's proposal to purchase the site for use as a tourism attraction so committee members could revise the resolution for proposals.
"It will probably be after the first of the year, we want to make sure that everything is advertised properly, giving everyone the opportunity to bid on that piece of property." In addition to an expected re-submission of the proposal from the Friends of Fort Massac, McDaniel says he's also anticipating a bid from an industrial buyer. He says the city is in the process of cleaning up the site to return it to commercial grade status.