Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
2012 Tennessee General Assembly
Thu April 5, 2012
Medical Marijuana Bill Stalls in Tennessee Senate
A measure to legalize medical marijuana has likely failed in the Tennessee Senate. The Government Operations Committee voted 5 to 4 Wednesday to send the proposal sponsored by Democratic Senator Beverly Marrero to the Senate Health Committee. However, that panel has closed for the year, unless its chairman decides to reopen it. The proposal creates a program for people with severe and chronic illnesses to be able to get the marijuana. Sponsors say the measure would create the toughest access standards among the states with similar laws. But Republican Senator Bo Watson says he opposes the bill because there's still a chance for abuse despite the heavy regulation.