Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri May 4, 2012
McCracken County Fiscal Court Balances Budget, Deputies Get a Raise
In just over an hour last night, the McCracken County Fiscal Court produced a tentative balanced budget for the next fiscal year. Commissioners met to close an over $170,000 dollar shortfall. They overcame the gap by eliminating the county’s annual financial contribution to EntrePaducah and reducing funds for the county’s new animal shelter. EntrePaducah is running a $350,000 dollar surplus, and Commissioner Ronnie Freeman says that means the county can cut their $300,000 dollar contribution to zero. The savings have also allowed commissioners to approve a 6% pay increase for McCracken County Sheriff’s deputies. County Judge Executive Van Newberry says commissioners have been working for years to bring deputies’ pay up to the level of city police officers.