Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Tue April 9, 2013
McConnell Says Office Was Bugged
U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell has asked the FBI to find out who placed a recording device in his Louisville campaign office and recorded a private meeting held on February 2nd. That recording was of Republican McConnell and his aides strategizing about potential democratic opponents in next year’s election. A transcript of the discussion was published today in Mother Jones magazine and the senator’s aides are heard talking about research into actress Ashley Judd’s religion and mental health. At the time, Judd was considering a challenge to McConnell.
At a press conference this afternoon, McConnell declined to answer questions about whether that discussion was appropriate.
“Well as you know last month my wife’s ethnicity was attacked by a left wing group in Kentucky and they also bugged my headquarters,” McConnell said “So I think that pretty well sums up the way the political left is operating in Kentucky.”
McConnell calls the bugging of his office a “Nixonian” move. The senator made his comments during a legislative update in Washington.