Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri December 7, 2012
McConnell and Paul Ask Beshear To Declare Federal Emergency
U.S. Senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul are urging Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear to seek a federal disaster declaration because of low water levels on the Mississippi River.
McConnell and Paul said in a letter that commercial traffic on the river could "come to a complete halt in coming days" unless the Army Corps of Engineers increases the water flow.
The senators say a federal disaster declaration might prompt a response from the Obama Administration.
The Army Corps of Engineers says it’s unlikely the lower Mississippi River will close to shipping because water levels are not dropping as quickly as feared.
Gov. Beshear's office has not yet released a statement.