Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri June 26, 2009
Mayor Piper to Urge Tax Hike
By Chris Taylor
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville Mayor Johnny Piper says he is submitting a recommendation to increase taxes to the City Council. During yesterday's Parks and Recreation Committee meeting Piper said that an early draft of the city's budget forecast a $7 million shortfall.
Piper says he would prefer to dip into the city's fund-balance than raise taxes, but doing so would draw the account below the minimum set by city code. The Mayor's office is currently looking into many options and the budget is still considered a work in progress.