Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri June 26, 2009
Mayor Piper to Urge Tax Hike
By Chris Taylor
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville Mayor Johnny Piper says he is submitting a recommendation to increase taxes to the City Council. During yesterday's Parks and Recreation Committee meeting Piper said that an early draft of the city's budget forecast a $7 million shortfall.
Piper says he would prefer to dip into the city's fund-balance than raise taxes, but doing so would draw the account below the minimum set by city code. The Mayor's office is currently looking into many options and the budget is still considered a work in progress.