Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Fri June 26, 2009
Mayor Piper to Urge Tax Hike
By Chris Taylor
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville Mayor Johnny Piper says he is submitting a recommendation to increase taxes to the City Council. During yesterday's Parks and Recreation Committee meeting Piper said that an early draft of the city's budget forecast a $7 million shortfall.
Piper says he would prefer to dip into the city's fund-balance than raise taxes, but doing so would draw the account below the minimum set by city code. The Mayor's office is currently looking into many options and the budget is still considered a work in progress.