Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Fri June 26, 2009
Mayor Piper to Urge Tax Hike
By Chris Taylor
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville Mayor Johnny Piper says he is submitting a recommendation to increase taxes to the City Council. During yesterday's Parks and Recreation Committee meeting Piper said that an early draft of the city's budget forecast a $7 million shortfall.
Piper says he would prefer to dip into the city's fund-balance than raise taxes, but doing so would draw the account below the minimum set by city code. The Mayor's office is currently looking into many options and the budget is still considered a work in progress.