Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Fri June 26, 2009
Mayor Piper to Urge Tax Hike
By Chris Taylor
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville Mayor Johnny Piper says he is submitting a recommendation to increase taxes to the City Council. During yesterday's Parks and Recreation Committee meeting Piper said that an early draft of the city's budget forecast a $7 million shortfall.
Piper says he would prefer to dip into the city's fund-balance than raise taxes, but doing so would draw the account below the minimum set by city code. The Mayor's office is currently looking into many options and the budget is still considered a work in progress.