Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Wed January 21, 2009
Mayfield Murder Case Goes to Grand Jury
By Austin Carter
Mayfield, KY – The recent murder outside a Mayfield group home is headed to a grand jury. The Paducah Sun reports Graves County District Judge, Deborah Crooks found enough evidence during a preliminary hearing to warrant review by a grand jury. Graves County deputy sheriffs allege that 42-year-old Mitchell Smith beat 60-year-old Gary Seaford to death November 1st. The altercation occurred outside the home for adults with special needs where they were residents. The Kentucky Psychiatric Correctional Center has not returned Smith's mental competency evaluation. Smith's attorney declined to explain the nature of his client's disability or whether it would be part of his defense.