Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Fri September 7, 2012
Matheny abandons TN house speaker challenge
Tennessee State Representative Judd Matheny says he’s no longer considering a challenge to fellow Republican Beth Harwell for House speaker next year. Matheny announced last month he was looking into a bid for the House’s top post because he felt marginalized by other GOP leaders. He says he will instead seek another term in his current position as House speaker pro tempore. Besides speaker, it is the only post elected by the General Assembly’s entire lower chamber. Matheny says he expects to have an increased role in the next legislative session and will work to improve coordination between the House and Senate and with Republican Governor Bill Haslam's administration.