Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Around the Nation
Mon September 16, 2013
Mansfield Waits 121 Years For 2nd Night Game
Originally published on Mon September 16, 2013 6:09 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
In 1892, Mansfield University held the first night football game. Brand-new electric lights illuminated the field, just not very well. Squinting in the darkness, players tackled their own teammates and even the ref. Mansfield abandoned night games until this past Saturday, then the Pennsylvania school defeated Princeton. The athletic director says the 121-year pause between night games allowed time to work out the bugs.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.