Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Around the Nation
Mon September 16, 2013
Mansfield Waits 121 Years For 2nd Night Game
Originally published on Mon September 16, 2013 6:09 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
In 1892, Mansfield University held the first night football game. Brand-new electric lights illuminated the field, just not very well. Squinting in the darkness, players tackled their own teammates and even the ref. Mansfield abandoned night games until this past Saturday, then the Pennsylvania school defeated Princeton. The athletic director says the 121-year pause between night games allowed time to work out the bugs.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.